Thursday, July 30, 2015

Plums, and senorita elephant bum

Yesterday I was admiring the plum tree in our backyard that is growing very heavy with ripe fruit. They fit in your palm and are wonderfully sweet and juicy, but their skin tastes like tomatoes. Upon eating way more than I should have, I thought "OOH! MIRACLE OF NATURE! LET'S GO GET THAT ONE DOLL WHO IS A FOREST SPIRIT AND DO A SHOOT!"



So I did.

I've been having trouble with this doll lately. She was an impulse buy from the Jill's steals and deals sale thingamabob. I snatched her up fast, which hardly ever happens with dolls. I spend at least six months thinking about their personality and fantasizing about them, and the rest of the time saving money and preparing myself to convince dad that I need another doll.

The rest of the problem is that so many other people have her that she doesn't seem special at all (#55 is becoming more popular too. I'm starting to doubt if the beads in her hair are doing enough to keep her unique any more.) So I'm still pondering the virtues of customization. Custom dolls are truly unique, but after the eye swap of doom, I am definitely lacking in the confidence department. NOT TO WORRY! I am not scarred for life. Beep beep beep! pulling up at the gas confidence station to refill my tank. And now that I have determination and guts renewed, I bought a doll wig off Etsy. It's purple. (The question is, who should it go on?)

And her name, ugh, her name.
It was on a sleep deprived post writing whim that I gave up trying to find a cool name ("Her name is more of a feeling. Like being alone in a forest by the sea, hearing the waves, smelling the salt and pine needles, and watching the fog roll by. There's no one word for that.") and said "screw it, let's just go with Morgan." Really it's a miracle I didn't name her Senorita Elephant Bum.
A week or so ago I went on to Behind The Name (just a website full of names and meanings and stuff.) and looked for a word that means misty forest. AHA! " Terhenetär, which was derived from Finnish terhen "mist". In the Finnish epic the 'Kalevala' Terhenetär is a sprite associated with mist and forests." And I asked our friend Google about Terhenetar, and it said that there is a Finnish metal band by that name. 
Oh.
 Ok.
 Just in case you were wondering, our Terhenetar is not a Finnish metal head.

Adios! Nosotras son muy bien elefante a tope!*

Gwen

*when you translate that it comes out: "Goodbye! We are all very well elephant butt!" And i'm laughing way harder than I should be.

You all be good elephant butts, now! Goodbye for real this time!



11 comments:

  1. Your pictures are amazing nice job

    http://dollsworld123.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. I'm sorry 61 isn't working out for you. I think her being a wood spirit is extremely unique, though.
    I love her dress! Where did you get it?
    The plum tree is so cool!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her dress is josefina's meet "camisa" without the skirt. (Did you know it comes with moccasins? Epic.)

      Delete
  3. Nice pics! I think as long as your doll's personality is different and someone can tell that YOU somehow made it up(we all have a bit of ourselves in our dolls, it seems) she's unique.
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose so.
      I think we do have bits of our dolls in us. Andie is my introversion and weird side, Lilly is my ambassador and artist, terhenetär represents my love of nature, and I'm still thinking about Rylan. Since I never write about her during the time when her eye was out, she didn't get developed as much as I would have liked.

      Delete
  4. My #61 was the first doll of mine that didn't come with a name, I have no idea what to name her because as soon as I settle on one it doesn't fit! I want to try to find a unique name but I can't find any that fit her personality :) The first picture of her is so adorable! I love plum trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naming dolls is HARD! Andie used to be named Rachel, lilly was cadence for a bit, and Rylan used to be Parker. I wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect name.
      Plum trees are great.

      Delete
  5. Oh Gwen you make me laugh so much! I'm laughing harder than I should be as well >.< I hope you find the perfect name for her! You could even put the purple wig on her :D
    -Lydia
    http://dollyfernfriends.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all very well elephant butts! Spanish is great.

      Delete
  6. Naming dolls is hard, but again, I think it depends on how you perceive their personality too. Some dolls I've had named before I even got them and others it has taken a while. As far as customizing her--perhaps just a few freckles or a cluster of tiny moles if you don't want to go overboard. I've been thinking about doing that to my Rebecca. Or get that magic thumb ready and do another eyeswap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tagged you for the World Doll Day Tag!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! <3 And sometimes I even remember to reply ;P